Ready to help you resolve disputes or complaints along the way.
At 69ÌÃ, we know that returning to school can be exciting, but also stressful and fraught with hurdles where disputes may arise. Our Arbiter of Student Issues (ASI) is committed to working with both students and prospective students around their rights, obligations, and options when it comes to appeals and complaints.
The Arbiter of Student Issues (ASI) recognizes the need to provide support to VCC students around disputes and complaints arising at 69ÌÃ and relative to VCC policies.
As part of VCC Student Services, the ASI is a dedicated resource available to guide a student who finds themselves either at the centre of a complaint or lodging a complaint. The ASI is an impartial neutral party in all complaint processes, with the ability to hear complaints, investigate them with all parties concerned, and offer informal and formal dispute resolution mechanisms to resolve the dispute.
Principles of the ASI
- Neutrality and impartiality: The ASI does not represent one party's interests over another's.
- Fairness: The ASI looks to enforce fairness in process and procedure surrounding disputes.
- Equity: The ASI strives to arrive at equitable outcomes that improve the quality of student life at 69ÌÃ.
- Objectivity: The ASI looks at the complaint from all angles in trying to arrive at a resolution.
- Complaint navigation
- Meeting facilitation
- Formal and informal dispute resolution options
- Mapping of systemic issues and recommendations for change
- The ASI does not advocate on either the student or the college's behalf.
- The ASI does not have the power to impose a resolution. Rather, the ASI uses its influence to effect change and arrive at mutually agreed upon solutions.
Privacy and Confidentiality
Services are confidential and information about the student's case is not released unless the student provides the ASI with a mandate to administer an intervention or the law requires the release of the information.
See the full ASI Privacy and Confidentiality Statement.
Book an appointment
Office open Tuesday - Friday. Online or In-Person appointments available.
Students seen by appointment only. To book an appointment, call or email us (details below).